Monday, April 26, 2010

Dr. Who: "The Beast Below"


Here is my short review of the second episode of the new Dr. Who season:
  •  I still think that Matt Smith is exceptional as the Doctor, although there were a couple moments in the episode that I thought he fell into some of the David Tennant mannerisms that I really think it would be better for him to avoid. Especially the heinous "Geronimo!" catchphrase, which must be retired immediately and his exuberance when introducing Amy to the wonders of the Tardis in the beginning of the episode. From then on though Smith was very much his own Doctor, or at least had far more in common with past Doctors other than Tennant, like Troughton, Davidson, and even Eccleston. His portrayal so far has been very subdued, but still fun, which I have loved. In order for the series to really connect Smith has to be his own man, reminding us of the Doctors but not being overwhelmed by our memories of them. So far so good with that, but I want him to break farther for this to really work.
  • Karen Gillan's portrayal of Amy Pond is fascinating. I think we have only begun to see the layers of her characterization and I think the entire season will hinge on her ability to pull off what Moffat has in mind for the character. I liked her again this episode, particular the flash at the end when she solves the mystery and the way in which she is entirely making her own decisions, in a deliberate way that Rose and Martha never did. I think that the character has tremendous potential and I think Gillan is game, I do worry that there will be a romantic involvement situation again, but I'll hold off on my fears for now.
  • I don't have much to say about this episode generally, I didn't hate it but it certainly was seriously flawed in several huge ways:
    • The entire plot of the episode was a series of ideas that didn't hold together by any set of internal logic. There was no reason for the Doctor not to immediately recognize the "star whale" below the ship. Liz 10's mask to hide her identity neither hid her identity nor served any other purpose. The Smilers were ultimately useless and had no real bearing on the plot. The distopian society on the ship did not pay off at all. Why were all the other Earth civilizations able to fly their own ships away without "star whales", but not Britain. I mean even Scotland had an actual ship! Basically the entire plot was an excuse for Amy to make her decision and the Doctor to decide she was unworthy, as he has with Rose and Adam before, and then for Amy to figure out the whole thing and save the day. I found it all to be exceptionally weak.
  • The parallels between the space whale and the Doctor were needlessly pointed out, over and over. Please show, don't tell.
  • I did like the actual characterization in the plot between the Doctor and Amy though, including the things I complained about above. If nothing else that relationship seems to be building in an interesting way.
  • I loved the transition to the next episode with Churchill and the Dalek. I don't subscribe the "Dalek overload" school of thought, I tend to think they should show up once a season, just not always as the "Big Bad." I'm hoping this next episode is their one shot during season 5.

2 comments:

Yoda said...

Star Whale.

Clay Dockery said...

Oops, thanks Yoda. I have changed it. :-)